Fishing Guide, Charter Business Owner, Dad, Husband, Nerd- Capt. TJ Cheek
I think that every bio ever written by a fisherman has started out with how they grew up fishing and loved it from an early age and so on and so forth. Well, mine really isn’t any different. I was obsessed with fishing as far back as my earliest memories. The obsession never wore off and only intensified until I was at a point in my life that there was no other option but to make fishing my career.
I fished small tournaments and had a real blast doing that up until I joined the US Navy. After five years of going out to sea, but not getting to fish I decided to go back to civilian life. I fished a lot in my spare time and went back to fishing some tournaments with a good bit of success. It got to the point that the occasional trip or tournament just wasn’t enough. I decided I would take a leap of faith and become a fishing guide.
The first couple of years were tough. Thankfully I found some loyal customers that still fish with me to this day. If it wasn’t for them we would have starved to death! I was also fortunate to have the best support that I could ask for; my wife and my father. Without Katie’s patience and understanding I never could have made it through the long winters when I had to stress about which bills got paid. Without my father always being there to let me vent or to help me fix broken boats, reels, and electronics, I couldn’t have done it either. I also had some really awesome friends that went far beyond what I could have ever asked from anyone to help me get going. I have them to thank for any success I find or have found in this industry.
I look forward to sharing my experiences with you here on this site. I felt the need to create another site that was separate from charterfish.com so that I could speak from a more personal level. As I travel, fish, raise a family, and go through the ups and downs as a fishing guide and tournament angler, I’ll be sure to share it with you here.
- Power Pole
- Costa Del Mar
- Simms Fishing Products
- DOA Lures
- Acadiana CNG
- Pathfinder Boats
- 1st Place – HT Elite 40 Wild Card Open, St. Augustine Florida – 2014
- Guide to Top Celebrity Angler, Golden Isles Celebrity Red Trout Tournament for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – 2013
- Guide to Top Lady Angler, Golden Isles Celebrity Red Trout Tournament for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – 2013
- Guide to Top Lady Angler, Golden Isles Celebrity Red Trout Tournament for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – 2012
- Guide to Top Lady Angler, Golden Isles Celebrity Red Trout Tournament for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – 2011
- 1st Place – 1st Annual Jekyll Island Inshore Slam Tournament – 2010
- 1st Place – Hickory Bluff Annual Trout Tournament – 2009
- Multiple Top 5 finishes in CFA inshore slam tournaments
- Multiple Top 10 finishes in SKA Kingfish tournaments
Wife: Katie Cheek – 2nd Grade teacher at Burroughs Mollette Elementary School, Brunswick, GA
Children: Jackson – 3 years old, loves boats, trains, and tractors. Ethan – 6 months old,
loves milk, sleep, and peek-a-boo.
Before Fishing: U.S. Navy Veteran – Served as an Operations Specialist during
Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
Other Skills: Website development, writing, search engine optimization, online marketing.
Hobbies: Fishing. I tried golf and quickly realized that I need to stick with fishing!